Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Saffron Walden Reserves 0 – Halstead Reserves 2

Autumn is definitely here. It was finally cold enough to wear a coat. I have not needed it all season. It won’t be long until the hats and gloves come out.

I arrived at the ground about 10 minutes from kick off, and grabbed myself a cup of tea. I resisted from one of Andrew’s bacon rolls, as I am trying to lose the belly. It was hard as the food smelt really good! I heard that Mrs Nash was not well, so we hope she feels better soon. I think if I had to put up with Malcolm, I’d have a serious dose of man flu! We love you really Malc. I had a catch up with Fiona, Abbie and Jammy. In the match against Stowmarket, Jammy had his nose broken, and was not allowed to play. It was good he came along to support his team. I told him he should wear one of those masks that you see the pros wear, but apparently they are £50!

The last time the Ressies played Halstead, they got thumped 5-1 away from home. I was confident from the last 3 games, it would not happen again. Besides we were at the Lane!

The Bloods team

1.       Sam Souter (GK)

2.       S Arush Garung

3.       Jack Garratt

4.       Joe ‘The Boss Murphy (Captain)

5.       Ryan Fleming

6.       Ryan Dewey

7.       Coby Game

8.       Max Drane

9.       Dan Manser

10.   Ben Morrell

11.   James Crane (Road Runner)


12.   Dan Murphy-Moore, 14. Connor Scott, 15. Peter Davies and 16. Luca Riccio


First Half

It was a pacey start to the match, with both teams passing the ball well. The Bloods first great effort came from Road Runner. Manser won the ball back from Cursons, in the box, and passed it to Crane, who came charging in. He tried to float the ball into the top left hand corner, but it was just wide.

Manser was keeping the Halstead's keeper (Williamson) on his toes. Manser had a good opportunity to beat Williams as both players ran towards a free ball, but Williamson just got to the ball before Manser, preventing a shot.

Bloods were playing with confidence. The Boss and Drane’s communication was spot on. They were both calm on the ball, and got both wingers into the game.

Halstead’s Abbott, made a great break up the wing, but Fleming tracked back, and timed his slide tackle well.

The Boss had an excellent chance to make it 1-0. Road Runner made a lovely run and beat the right back. He squared the ball to The Boss, but his shot went over the bar.

Morrell had a great shot saved by Williamson, who forced a Walden corner. The corner was taken well by Road Runner, which found Drane. Drane demonstrated some cracking footwork, but his shot was blocked for another Walden corner. The corner went straight to a Charnock, who broke well but Garung stuck to him like glue, and made a lovely tackle.

Soon after, Charnock almost scored from a miss placed pass back to Soutar. Charnock did not expect it, but managed to stick his leg out, and the ball was deflected for a corner. The corner came in, and the Bloods could not clear it. I am not sure who scored but the Halstead player hit the ball well, and beat the diving Soutar. We did not deserve to be 1-0 down after a very positive first 30 minutes.

Road Runner looked threatening on the wing, and crossed the ball for Game. Game’s header skimmed off his head for a goal kick.

The rain came down hard and Halstead tried to break, but Road Runner got back well and timed his tackle perfectly. The ball went out for a corner. The corner found Charnock, but his shot went over the bar.

Game had a brilliant effort denied by the cross bar. He dribbled the ball in, and looked to cross but there was no one there. He decided to have a go himself, but his floated shot beat Williamson, but the cross bar saved the day.

Our next big chance came from another well taken corner by Road Runner. He found Fleming charging from the 18 yard line, but his header hit the bar.

It was starting to get frustrating as we could have been 3-1 up by now.

It was half time, and the goal frame and Williamson kept the Bloods from scoring. It was time for Abbie to make the tea. I was even given a lid for my tea. I am honoured. I must start wearing my tie soon.

Second Half

The Bloods first chance of the second half came from Game and Road Runner. The Boss controlled the ball well and sent Game on a run. He got into the danger zone and whipped the ball in, but it was just too fast for Road Runner, to slot it into the back of the net. He’s quick, but not that quick.

Hurkett picked up the ball from inside his own half, and broke up the wing. He crossed the ball to Charnock, but his shot was saved by Soutar.

Morrell came very close at scoring a cracking goal. He turned the defender in the box, and looked like he was being tugged back. He stayed on his feet and went for a shot, but it went over the bar.

Road Runner was causing havoc down the left wing, and managed to get another great cross in, but it was well cleared by Cursons, for a corner ball. The corner was played short to Manser. Manser passed it back to Road Runner, but his shot went wide.

We still looked like the better team overall, but just couldn’t find the back of the net. Unfortunately for the Bloods, Halstead did, and made it 2-0 from a corner. The ball came in and was struck against the inside of the cross bar, and landed in the back of the net.

After a random conversation about tea, and door steps with the Mackay’s, I got back into the match.

Game showed some great skills, and controlled the ball well from a long pass. He took the ball down, but his shot went over the bar.

Murphy-Moore was introduced to the match and looked sharp on the ball.

Crane continued to try and get on the score sheet. I would say he beat the defenders 90% of the time, but he couldn’t find the back of the net.

Halstead’s Hurst was introduced to the match, and forced a great save out of Soutar.

Road Runner was linking up well with Murphy-Moore. They both made some great crosses into the box, but no one was home.

5 minutes to go and Charnock missed a golden opportunity to make it 3-0, but his shot went over the bar.

The match ended up in a 2-0 defeat. We played the best football, especially in the first half. Our work effort was very good. Manser’s lads will soon bounce back to winning ways.

Fans MOTM goes to James ‘Road Runner’ Crane. He was a speed demon down the wing, and no one could handle him. Well done Crane, and keep up the hard work.





No comments:

Post a Comment